August 21, 2015
The GDCF Comedy Break Episode 1: Test Questions, Quizzes, and More
Teachers like some comic relief every now and then. So it is with delight that we share our new feature, The GDCF Comedy Break! These posts are about funny answers by kids to test questions, clever answers to oddball job interview questions, and critical thinking quizzes sure to stump any 5th grader.
Disclaimer: We haven't fact checked every one of these entries, but suspending all disbelief, we're sure you’ll have a good laugh!
The 10 Weirdest Job Interview Questions
- "What would you do if you were the one survivor in a plane crash?" (Asked at Airbnb)
- "What's your favorite 90s jam?" (Asked at Squarespace)
- "If you woke up and had 2,000 unread emails and could only answer 300 of them how would you choose which ones to answer?" (Asked at Dropbox)
- "Who would win in a fight between Spiderman and Batman?" (Asked at Stanford University)
- "If you had a machine that produced $100 dollars for life what would you be willing to pay for it today?" (Asked at Aksia)
- "What did you have for breakfast?" (Asked at Banana Republic)
- "Describe the color yellow to somebody who's blind." (Asked at Spirit Airlines)
- "If you were asked to unload a 747 full of jelly beans, what would you do?" (Asked at Bose)
- "How many people flew out of Chicago last year?" (Asked at Redbox)
- "What's your favorite Disney Princess? " (Asked at Cold Stone Creamery)
Lateral Thinking Quiz
Take the quiz via Critical Thinking
1) You have only an 8-liter jug and a 3-liter jug. Both containers are unmarked. You need exactly 4 liters of water. How can you get it, if a water faucet is handy?
2) What can you add to 1,000,000 and always get more than if you multiplied the 1,000,000 by the same value?
3) Determine the common saying depicted in these verbal picture puzzles.
a. DECI SION
b. ANOTHER ONE
4) What is the 50th number in this sequence? Explain how you got your answer.
5, 11, 17, 23, 29, 35, 41, …
5) Determine both one-word answers.
The floor of ship or boat,
They walk on me at sea;
Where there’s a C, make it an S,
At school you sit on me.
What am I? _______________
6) The reason he gave the press for leaving his job was illness and fatigue. That wasn’t exactly the truth and it wasn’t exactly a lie. Why did he leave?
7) Determine both one-word answers.
Another word for sick,
Your forehead is quite hot;
Now put an H in front,
A mountain I am not.
What am I?______________
8) Use the clues to solve the puzzle.
A duck, a goose, a goat, and a horse all entered the barn at different times one day last week.
1) A mammal entered the barn first.
2) The duck entered before the goose.
3) The goose entered ahead of the horse.
Who entered the barn first? ____________
9) Determine the common term or phrase depicted in these verbal picture puzzles.
b. T 2222
10) Use the addition, subtraction, multiplication and division symbols once each to make these equations true.
a. 600 __ 200 __ 400 __ 300 __ 200 = 200
b. 200 __ 300 __ 600 __ 400 __ 200 = 200
11) While relaxing on the deck outside her cabin one summer evening, Vivian fell into a deep trance-like sleep. When she awoke, she felt as if she had slept only an hour or two, but it was now the middle of winter. How could this be?
12) What do you get when a math teacher is a magician? ________________
And Now The Comedy Debrief
After laughing, we can then ask ourselves: are these kids deserving of credit for some of the answers given? After all, an appreciation of humor is almost certainly a higher form of intellect. Data always longed for a sense of one.
It certainly encompasses ingenuity in the face of no answers. It involves risk and daring. It also involves a certain audacity to put oneself on the same plane as the teacher. It involves a sense of thinking outside the box, or in some cases, literally confining one’s thought process to the exact wording of certain questions, and giving the answer that the question deserves.
Questions that beg for the smart-aleck answer are bound to happen once in awhile. Sometimes, teachers ask the darndest things!